Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Passport Wallet

I am really happy with the way this turned out. The outer part is made with an embossed croc print from Tandy, lined with goatskin. The pockets are also of goatskin. I'm hoping the recipient likes it.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Orange purse

This purse was made from lambskin leather I purchased at Tandy just for the colour. The handles and the basic pattern were from a Value Village purse find. I still have issues with expecting leather to behave exactly like fabric and had to do some modifications in progress to make it work. Not my best stitching for sure but it is usable and with the popularity of orange at the moment, timely as well.

Purse for grandaughter

This was one of the fastest leather projects I have done. We had about 2 hours to get the purse and bracelet done before her sister woke from her nap. Obviously I would have normally done things a little differently but she loves it. Purple is her favourite colour and the only leather I had was the faux crocodile, so she ended up with a pretty stylish purse and bracelet for a 7 year old :-).

Card for Niece

I haven't done any cards in a long time but needed one for my niece. They had a destination wedding and the girls wore shades of peach and orange so that gave me a direction to go in with this card. I used my KNK for the lettering and cuttlebug folders in my Wizard for the embossing. It took a lot longer than normal, I am quite out of practice.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Embossed Card Wallet

This card wallet is made of 2-3 oz vegetable tanned leather,embossed with a Cuttlebug folder using my Wizard. I combined it with some black goatskin.

I really like the depth of the embossed texture.

The small pockets are for the small key fob tags that some of the stores use for their loyalty programs.

Leather purse and Card Wallets

My daughter requested a purse as hers was falling apart. This was made to the measurements she requested. She prefers the crossbody style and not too large. The purse is made from designer lamb, the strap from drum dyed vegetable tanned leather. The hardware came from a thrift store purse.

I made a little coin purse to match and found out that this leather was not happy about the turning out process on the smaller item. I used Resolene on the areas that stretched a little too much. Hopefully it will hold up.

These were made using 2-3 oz vegetable tanned leather in a Tim Holtz embossing folder, run through my original model Wizard die cutter. I really like the way they turned out although my block dying could have been better on the purple one.

The blue one is for my other daughter as it is her favourite colour.

Monday, April 14, 2014


I decided to try and make some sandals to match my new purse. I bought a cheapy pair of sandals from Winners and cut off the upper so I could  use  the base as my outer sole.  I used veg tan leather as the inner sole. It was an interesting and fun experiment. Now to see how well they hold up....

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Messenger bag

I wanted to try a messenger style bag and had some upholestry leather that I thought would work for one for the warmer weather.   I used Arther Porter's you tube videos on how to make a messenger bag as a starting point.  This bag is unlined.

Parts of the bag in progress.

Completed bag.

Front of bag with pocket.

Back of bag with pocket.

I used a belt buckle without the tongue for my closure. The other buckles I got from a thrift store purse.

I have to be more careful with my stitching but I am really pleased with how this came together.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Long Wallet

From his years of wearing a suit, my husband prefers the long style of wallet. His is falling apart ( it's only 20 years old lol) so I decided to try and make him a new one. I found this hard to do and there are a lot of things that need improvement. I used goatskin because the leather needed to be thin and flexible. I could have done the card pockets using fabric with a leather strip at the top but I did want to make as much of it as possible with leather. Even with the thin goat, it gets bulky in the card section. This goat was really stretchy so I was unable to skive it down.

There was a discussion on about the RFID in cards so I lined some of the interior pockets with the aluminum foil tape, covered with a fabric liner. I didn't like the way that it made the leather not as smooth but hopefully it will work. I need to get better at the trimming of the leather after binding, but like all things, it probably comes with practice.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

New E-Reader Cover

I wanted a new cover for my e-reader so decided to play with some leather I bought a while back at Tandy. I really liked the textured look of the designer lamb and it paired nicely with some tan upholstery leather I bought on sale. I used the Tandy Professional Edge paint in Ebony to finish the edges.