Monday, December 23, 2013

More Card Wallets

The flash is a bit off putting in this picture, but I think you get the idea. I think I prefer this 2 colour version to the all black one. Hopefully the recipients will enjoy them.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Prototype Purse, Coin Purses and Card Wallets

This was a real learning experience. This leather was not the best choice for the design and there were many adjustments made on the fly. The stiffness of the faux alligator also caused a lot of issues in the sewing of this. Plus I am learning the quirks of my industrial sewing machine. I do have a list of things to watch for in designing and sewing my next one.

These card wallets were part of a group of ones I made out of goatskin for Christmas gifts. I am happy with how they turned out. I think they would be great as a thin wallet for a hotel key, credit card, a couple of bills while on vacation.

These were also part of a group sewn as gifts. They are made of lambskin with a patent type finish.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Steampunk style

I seem to be on a watch band kick. Watches are so inexpensive these days, that making a whole wardrobe of them doesn't break the bank. They are fun and quick to do projects that don't use a lot of leather. There are many things I would do differently if I did this one again, but it is wearable. I used my Osborne hand press with the Tandy rams foot to do the 3d stamps and was really pleased with the definition that I got.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Antique effect watch band

Another watch band. I decided to do the traditional buckle thing but I am not sure I like it better than the ones done with snaps.

I used the Ecoflo Gel Antique to colour the leather. I wasn't really happy with it but the issues did give it a worn antique appearane that seems to work.

By the time you account for the tabs to mount the watch and the mounting of the strap sections, there isn't much space left to showcase any tooling.

All in all, it is wearable and the issues did lead to a look that seems vintage, so I am happy with it.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

New Watch Cuff

I was getting tired of my old watch and wanted a new look. This is what I came up with. As always, there are things I would do differently another time, but it was a fun project.

I think there will be more of these in my future, different colours, textures.......

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Kobo Mini Cover

There have been a lot of things going on that have meant that I haven't been crafting for a while. When leatherworkers say that you have to use your skills often, they really mean it. I made a lot of errors in the tooling and stamping, mostly due to lack of practice. This cover was originally done using chrome tanned leather but it ended up too flimsy. I should have used a firmer matboard for the internal support. But since I liked the way the mini slipped into the case, I decided to do an outer cover with veg tan leather and use the previous cover as the insert. This was my first time with double lacing as well and I have to get better with the endings. Not perfect by any means but I still will get a lot of use out of it.

(For some reason the photos look weird. Please click on them to see them properly.)

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cell phone cases

My dh needed a new cell phone case so I thought I would give it a go. This one doesn't look too bad but it ended up too small. I think it shrunk a little in the molding process. I also used a piece of pig skin to line the inside so that the metal clip would not scratch the phone and that made it hard for the phone to slip in and out. Things to know and avoid for next time.

This one fits the phone better as I molded it around the phone and attached the clip with a second piece of leather. It is not without issues but is functional. In the picture the uneven bevelling really shows,  in real life, it isn't that in your face. Hand sewing is not my most favourite thing so I hope to see a leather sewing machine in my future.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Roper Wallet

I got a couple of these kits from Tandy when they were on sale and decided it was time to try one of them. I still had some ostrich leg left so decided to make an inlay. I added the strap and snap as I felt it would be necessary to hold the wallet closed.
Since the feel of the piece was more modern, I just tooled a bit on the back and the strap. I have to say I really like the Professional Waterstain lineup from Tandy. The colours are rich and they go on really well.
I'm not sure I really like this style of wallet. It is much heavier in look and feel to what I am used to. It was kind of frustrating that the inserts were too large and the holes didn't match. But I will try it for a while, it may grow on me.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Re-doing purse handle

I posted earlier about my purse with the tooled leather flap. I was happy with the tooling, but something was still not working with the purse. After a discussion with a good friend, I realized that the handle attachment looked unfinished. As I didn't want to have to redo the whole area where the handle attached, I had to come up with something else. This seems to work. I'm much happier with it anyways.