Saturday, June 20, 2009

3 Versions

These cards show how different the same image (in this case, a Marilyn image from the Stampsmith) can be, depending on the colouring and the presentation of the card. All were stamped with Memories black ink on glossy cardstock. This one has parts of the image coloured with waterbased markers used as paint and with chalks. It is mounted on a scrapbooking paper, a black cardstock layer, then on a purple card base, edged in black ink. The words are done with a dymo label maker (which is unfortunately reflecting the light . It really is smoother than it appears).

This image could have been considered a mistake. It was the first image stamped and the black areas of the dress were a little blotchy. By colouring those areas with marker applied by paintbrush, the dress appears to have a lace top. So before you pitch an imperfect image, play with it and see if colouring it brings a new dimension to it.

This image is very striking on its own and works well in black and white, with small shots of colour. The only areas coloured in the stamped image are the lips and I coloured them lightly. This one is mounted on white, then black with white embossed swirls, then burgundy and onto an off white card.

Supplies used: Marilyn stamp from the Stampsmith, Swirls by Inque Boutique, Memories black ink, waterbased markers, chalks, various papers and cardstocks, ribbon, brad, dymo label maker, distress inks

Monday, June 15, 2009

Lucy birthday card

This image is from the Stampsmith's Lucy plate. I just had to do this one for my girlfriend. Lucy is stamped with Memories black on glossy cardstock, coloured with water based markers and chalks and mounted on a textured paper. The word phrases were done using green vellum in a dymo label maker.

Supplies used- stamp from the Stampmith, green vellum, dymo label maker, paper, cardstock

Friends cards

Both of these Stampsmith images make great cards for those special girlfriends. The backgrounds on both cards use a variation of Tim Holtz's compressed air and alcohol ink backgrounds. I used Copic marker refills and the airbrush in my version. It is great fun and you never know exactly what you are going to get.

This stamp comes as a single in this size and there is also a smaller version. It is stamped with Memories black on glossy cardstock and coloured with waterbased markers applied with a paintbrush and with chalks. I outlined both the main image layer and the background one with copic markers. The embossed lines on the bottom of the card were done with a Scor-it and then accented with distress inks. I used a label maker for the phrase.

Additional background stamps are from Oxford Impressions, texture stamp Judikins

This stamp comes from the Those were the Days plate. It is stamped with Memories black on glossy cardstock, and coloured with waterbased markers and chalks. The blue layer is distressed and edged with distress inks. The label is made with green vellum run through a dymo label maker.

Mesh stamp is from Stampington and Co. Cardstock from SU

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

New silver clay pendants

I had this wonderful vision of how I could use these Fred Mullett stamps to make a underwater scene. I stamped into the metal clay and then trimmed around the stamps. I did a second layer on the big fish to make him more dimensional. The seaweed leaves form the base and the bail. I used liver of sulfur for the patina. I am pleased with the final product but really have to learn how to plan better. I did a lot more playing around and redoing things than was probably best for the clay. Hopefully the attachments are secure enough. I think learning how to rivet should be on my to do list. Although it isn't perfect, it was a great learning experience.

This pendant was based on one in Hadar Jacobson's book. Here again, I ran into some construction problems. I made the mistake of using a little too much water while it was on a playing card during construction. Some must have seeped underneath the pendant and when it was drying, some of the card stuck to the bottom of the pendant. The stuck on bits got burnt off in the kiln but it was a pain to try and peel the pendant off the card without damaging it too much. Another learning experience ( sigh) . It also has a liver of sulfur patina.

Supplies used: Art Clay Silver 650 slow dry, Fred Mullett stamps, Liver of sulfur, various texture stamps Judikins, other stamps dots SU, mesh Stampington

Monday, June 1, 2009

Child's Birthday Card

My granddaughter just turned two and she is an enormous fan of Elmo. So her birthday card had to feature the furry red guy. I used my Klik N Kut electronic diecutter to cut out the character and the words. I shaded the character using Art Stix and stamped red and green dots on the yellow birthday word. I used distress inks to outline the word shadow and the card itself. It was a real hit with my granddaughter.

Supplies used: KNK diecutter, distress inks, scrapbooking paper, cardstock, dots stamp SU, Prismacolor Art Stix