Friday, July 11, 2008

Smoosh background cards

A while ago, I had been playing with the Memories Mists as backgrounds, as shown in Elaine Barr's blog here The backgrounds involve 2 pieces of glossy card stock, sprayed heavily with the Memories mist, smooshed together, then pulled apart. This gives some really interesting effects as shown in Elaine's blog. I took it one step further and while the pieces were still really wet, touched certain spots together and it gave me an encaustic wax effect.

These made such interesting backgrounds that I was reluctant to cover them up, so they sat unused. Today, I wondered what they would be like as backgrounds for very nostalgic images, instead of the strong graphic images you would expect to use with them.

This card uses an image from Paperbag Studios as the focus.


This young boy is from Oxford Impressions.


This stamp is also from Oxford Impressions.

I hope you enjoyed the cards and will give the technique a try. It is loads of fun, but be warned- wear old clothes as it can be a little messy.

Supplies used- Memories Mists in assorted colours, Stamps from Oxford Impressions and Paperbag Studios, glossy card stock, various coloured cs , vellum, chalks and markers for colouring stamped images.

Rosemary


5 comments:

Elaine Elwick Barr said...

OMG! I LOVE all of your samples! I especially love the one of the reclining woman..I love how you just fit that right into the smoosh! These are really beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!

Elaine

Zeborah Loray said...

I think these work GREAT with the vintage/nostalgic images.

I'm surprised at that too.
Wow! Great cards.

I love things that surprise me. :)

Kim said...

Rosemary, your work is just BEAUTIFUL! I am so glad to have found your blog!

Roben-Marie said...

Hello, Rosemary!

The little girl looks great on this background, which by the way these are great!! RM :)

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Rosemary - these backgrounds are awesome and so is your work!!! You are truly a stamp Artist! Marva