Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Metallic textures



I created this card a couple of months ago for Suzanne at Oxford Impressions and it uses one of the images from the Country Girl plate. I thought I would share it here as it uses an easily found item to create a metallic textured look that is easy to do and light weight enough to be used on a card that could be mailed. The letters were cut out of card stock on my KNK and adhered to a card stock base. ( Any die cut letters or shapes could be used.) These were then covered with a strip of shiny heating/air conditioning tape that you can get at Home Depot, or other home improvement store or sometimes at your local dollar store. I brayered the tape with a soft rubber brayer and outlined the letters with a paper stump. (This is an adaptation of a technique that Tim Holtz used on one of his DVD's, and of techniques from Ten Seconds Studio.) I textured several pieces of the tape with Ten Seconds Studio's metal tools and applied them to the base. Acrylic paint was used to give the tape an antique appearance. The image is stamped on glossy card stock and coloured with markers (applied with a paint brush), chalk and distress ink. Screw brads compliment the metal frame. This technique is a great way to get wonderful metal effects without the extra weight of actual metal.

Supplies used- stamp Oxford Impressions, metal tape, Ten Seconds Studio metal tools, KNK, waterbased markers, chalk, distress ink, glossy card stock and regular card stock, metal screw brads.

Rosemary

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this. the metal tape is really difficult to get here in the UK - but luckily I managed to pick up a roll when I visited Canada earlier this year. But shame on me I've barely used it - or my small collection of TSS tools. I really must start to use them as I love what you have achieved with them here. I wouldn't have thought to go metal with western, but it really works.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Wow, I looked and looked b/4 I read, and said now how did she do that? Well...thanks so much, now I know. Fab job, just luv it! hugz, Gerrie

Monica Sandström said...

Great! You did aa great job with the metallic texture.

Froggietalks said...

That is a lovely card Rosemary. I love the aluminum (?) tape over the textured board and chipboard letters.. I have seen the aluminum tape done in alcohol inks, but not in an acrylic paint wash like that. It's awesome!

Karen G