Saturday, November 29, 2008
My granddaughter absolutely loves this furry red guy, so this card is specially for her. I cut him out on my Klik n Kut, and used Prismacolor Art Stix to colour and shade him for depth. The wings were cut on gold cardstock using a Spellbinders die in my Wizard. Most of this card uses leftover materials. The oval window card was a leftover piece of cardstock from another card that used the spellbinders ovals as a backing, the greeting was one that did not work on another card, the ribbon was a scrap. I am trying to challenge myself to use up more of my bits and pieces.
Supplies used- cardstock, ribbon, various inks, KNK, spellbinders wizard and dies, stamps by G Studio and Paper Inspirations.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
I had so much fun playing with the calla lilies, I thought I would tackle a poinsettia. I chose to make the poinsettia a burgundy shade, as I thought it would be more versatile than red. I used Premo for this and embedded Swarovski pearls in the center, using eye pins. For some reason, this particular colour, which is a creamy white, turns golden in the oven and I thought they would be pretty for the center of the poinsettia. I chose not to apply a finish so that the poinsettia retained the matte, velvet look that is more realistic and so that I did not lose the soft sparkle that came from adding red pearl to the colour mix.
Supplies used- Premo polymer clay, tools for polymer clay, Swarovski pearls, eyepins, polymer beads, wire, beads and beading supplies.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
I had so much fun playing with the original polymer clay version of the lilies and my metal clay interpretation, that I decided to try and make them smaller and a little finer detailed in the polymer clay. I also made some polymer clay beads in colours to match and I am pleased with their effect in the necklaces. (The original instructions for the calla lilies are found in an article by Christi Friesen in Bead and Button magazine 15th anniversary issue.)
Just a reminder for those of you who might be interested in the design team competition at Oxford Impressions that the deadline for submissions is December 1st, 2008. All of the details are posted here. Good luck and have fun creating.
Supplies used- Premo polymer clay, cookie cutter, Flecto varathane satin finish, beads, pearl ex, acrylic paint, various findings
Monday, November 3, 2008
Christi Friesen had an article in the 15th Anniversary issue of Bead and Button magazine that showed how to do a calla lilly pin or pendant out of polymer clay. I decided to try it. Unfortunately mine got a spotted effect, perhaps from overcooking, or some clay contamination, but I think I like the effect. I was curious to see how it would look, modified, in Art Clay Silver.
This is much more delicate. I am still in the phase where working with the metal clay feels like magic.
Supplies used- Premo polymer clay, various beads, Flecto Varathane, acrylic paint, Art Clay Silver