Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Altered switch plate


We recently repainted our kitchen and wanted new switch plates for the room. I couldn't find one in this configuration that matched the other new ones we purchased, so decided to dress up a plain beige plastic one. I remembered seeing a mini tutorial or Inkling for this on the yahoo group rangerinklink posted by Yevette. The very plain plastic cover is coloured with Ranger alcohol inks, then has the mesh image stamped multiple times with Versamark ink, then embossed with black detail embossing powders. I inked the edges with the Versamark and embossed them with the black to finish the look. I coloured the screws with a black sharpie to match.

( I should probably have scraped the old paint off the existing socket before I put my plate up, but didn't realize the necessity until I saw it in the picture. lol)

Supplies used - Ranger alcohol inks and mixative , felt tool, Versamark ink, black detail embossing , heat gun, Stampington stamp

Rosemary

7 comments:

Zeborah Loray said...

Great look- and very cool stamp!

wwilloww said...

I love it!!! Great job!!

Connie Fossenier said...

Thanks for sharing your masterpiece..Imagine a switch plate. love it.
Connie Paxman

Shelly Hickox said...

This is so cool Rosemary! I would have never thought to emboss the mesh like that. It makes it look very dimensional.

Debby said...

Very cool! You could easily market those somewhere. Browsed through your blog and you have lots of wonderful creations! It was fun looking.

Anonymous said...

The plate looks really cool. I see you also work in polymere clay. I have made several for my house with the clay. Just love them. It is always fun to cover up the ugly!!
Bren

Sandie R said...

Great idea Rosemary. I wouldn't have noticed the extra paint if you hadn't said it was there.