Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Joy of Making



This card was inspired by a discussion on one of the groups I belong to. So many very talented and creative people have been made to feel second rate and that their work is somehow inferior by unkind comments or by the arbitrary use of labels. One of the group's members signs his name as Owen, Maker of Small Things. When asked about his signature line, he explained that it came out a discussion he had with a friend after a recognized person in his art world told him that he should not consider himself an artist, that he was an illustrator. "But a friend of mine in Wichita, KS gave me a hug, a smile, and some words of wisdom:"Hon, you're a Maker. You make things. It's other people that make them Art." Owen went on to say "She's a Maker, too. She has almost no money at all, so she makes beautiful things out of nearly nothing. Paper, glue, paint and Love. Twigs, autumn leaves, wire and dried flowers from her garden. Cast-offs no one else wants, she turns into beautiful things. She sends me drawings and brightens my world. She makes me proud to be a Maker.
Bottom line: I'm a Maker. I have a driving need to believe, to create, to do. I'll try anything. Who knows where it will lead?"

Owen Wolf - Maker of Small Things
(quotes used with permission from Owen Wolf)

I take great joy in making stuff. I can lose myself for hours during the process. For me, it may be more important than the finished product. That others enjoy what I create is an enormous blessing. I am proud to say that I am a Maker.

Card Details: The main image is from the Ooh Baby plate from The Stampsmith. It is stamped with Memories black on glossy cardstock and coloured with waterbased markers applied with a paint brush. The spin art background is made with acrylic paints , cut out with a Spellbinders die and edged with a Krylon gold pen. The mesh background stamp is from Stampington and was stamped on the base card using Versamark , the dots are SU and were stamped with green versafine. The white vinyl Joy sticker was made on my KNK electronic diecutter -font is PassionsConflictROB

8 comments:

tracyozzie said...

This is wonderful that you addressed this issue in such a kind way. You did not blast or get on their level. Your post and art piece are beautiful and an inspiration to all. You DO NOT need to return unkindness with the same. You raised the level. Thank you.

DLSarmywife said...

Just fabulous! And what a great image to come from inspiring words! Well done Rosemary!

Zeborah Loray said...

Great card- wonderful sentiments on art in the post.
Enjoyed this very much. Thanks.
I'm a "maker" too. ;)

Diane said...

Beautifully done and beautifully said. I so agree with what Melange said....Bravo I am a "Maker" and love it. Thanks Rosemary for your post. Blessings!

Art By Wanda said...

Rosemary, I love the card and I love your post!!! Well said!!

Lynna said...

Some call me an artist, others just call me inspiring. If a degree is what you need to be an "artist" then I guess I fall into that maker category. I never have claimed to be an artist, just a crafter. I enjoy making things out of bits an pieces. Either way, my title doesn't matter so long as my creations inspire.

Rena Sawatski said...

Love your card- it made me smile!!! Good for both you and your friend Owen for not letting nasty comments stop you from creating. Make art from the heart and enjoy it!!

Debbie Kaste said...

Rosemary, this reminds me of a posting I recently saw on a church sign near our home - "You have to be little to belittle". Artists are artists no matter what skill level they are. Bravo to everyone who puts forward an effort! Love your blog and your work :)
Debbie Kaste